1837 Marriage

8 replies [Last post]
stephenhuxley

I have found a marriage between John HUXLEY and Mary A FORGHAM on free bmd in 1837,  can anyone with a subscription to ancestry or findmypast please have a look at this marriage and send me all details,thank you

stephenhuxley

Or if anyone is going to Shropshire archives could have a look there for me as i live in Mallorca. If not i will buy the certificate when i next go to England. Thanks

PhilPoole

Stephen,

There is an image of the certificate on Findmypast website. They were married after Banns on Dec 20th in Wem Parish Church. Both were of full age, John was a bachelor, Mary was a spinster. John was a Cordwainer living in Northwood; father Aaron Huxley, occupation Sawyer. Mary's residence was given as Wem and her father was Richard Forgham, occupation Cordwainer, The witnesses were Thomas Newnes and William Owen.

Hope this info helps

Phil

stephenhuxley

Thank you, this is not my John as his father was named William. The only other one I see is John HUXLEY married Ann POWELL in 1839 at Wem. Would you be able to see if his fathers name was William.
Thank you

PhilPoole

Stephen,

The 1839 marriage, also in Wem had father of John Huxely as being Joseph Huxley. Both John, a bachelor, and Joseph had occupation of Labourer, and John's residence was given as Northwood. Ann Powell, spinster, was also of Northwood, and probably illegitimate as her father's name was recorded as Thomas Davies.

There is an 1832 marriage in Longford and 18332 marriage in Whitchurch of someone named John Huxley, but neither record gives name of father. More promising is 1844 marriage in Prees of John Huxley and Elizabeth Davenport in Prees, with William Huxley as father of John. John was of full age and a widower, occupation gardener, address Prees, and his father was a wever. Elizabeth was a widow, her father being John Eccleston.

What other info do you have on John to give his year of birth, father's name?

All of the above info comes from Findmypast. I've not tried Ancestry.

Regards

Phil

stephenhuxley

John's second marriage was to Elizabeth DAVENPORT(ECCLESTONE), I have this wedding certificate, but I can't seem to find his first wife. The census give him living in Moreton Street in Prees. There is one more. John HUXLEY who married Ann WESTON in 1826 in Prees. Thanks for your help

linda25g

there is no father's name on the record for John Huxley to Ann Weston, however John Huxley did sign his name, on the mar to Elizabeth Davenport he only made his mark so possibly not the same one?

stephenhuxley

Thank you, looks like all 3 are not my John. i wonder if my john broke his wrist before he married elizabeth davenport and could not sign his name ? a possibility or clutching at straws ? i dont know of any other marriages so am stuck again.

PhilPoole

Stephen,

There appear to be several individuals with name John HUXLEY in north-west Shropshire  around 1840/50. I haven't done comprehensive search but if you're saying that John married for second time to Elizabeth Davenport in 1843, then one interesting 1841 Census record is for John HUXLEY living with Mary (aged 75) and William (aged 9) in Wem. So why no wife? Perhaps she had died. Searching for William born c.1831 gives baptism in 131 to John and Elizabeth HUXLEY. Searching for death of Elizabeth HUXLEY gives someone with this name in Wem in 1839. Unfortunately no burial record, but may be worth a gamble of getting her death certificate : Ref. 3Q1839 District Wem Vol. 18 Page 137.

Only other advice is to try to link the various Census records together and match with BMD's, if you have not already. Otherwise try searching for derivation of HUXLEY or a misspelling as transcribers may have indexed HUXLEY as HUNLEY or something similar.

Or try looking across the border into Flintshire and Cheshire.

Phil